Friday, October 30, 2009

The Time Capsule

As a child grows, he/she begins to conceptualise the family tree and where grandparents and other extended family members fit into the whole scheme of life. The fact that grandparents are the mother and father of your mother or father is a lot to process in a child’s mind, especially with the subtle differences that evolve in relationships due to your maturing in age. Master 6 and Miss 9 were no exception. 0n a recent visit with my parents, the children discovered that their maternal grandparents were in fact my Mummy and Daddy.

One day, during this time, we had pulled out the family photo albums. There, spread out in front of us were many photos of my growing years, baby photos, family portraits, birthday celebrations, old school photos etc. With much exclamation bearing every photo being passed around, I explained each one to my children….This is Mummy when I was a newborn; this is Mummy when I was just 4 etc. Much to my disappointment, Master 6 showed little to no interest.

A short time later, out in a shopping mall together with me and his grandparents, Master 6 asked his grandmother, “Will you allow Mummy to come play with me in the playground please?” Taken by surprise at the question, we nevertheless were amused at the image that must have conjured in my young son’s mind as he said those words….an image, no doubt, of me as a child sporting pigtails and freckles, no bigger than himself. With my mother’s response of “Yes, she may” coupled with merriment in her eyes towards me, Master 6 took me firmly by the hand and off we went……with me stifling the sudden urge to “skip” J

In the days that immediately followed, Master 6 apparently acquired a heightened respect for my mother within this new perspective. He was constantly heard asking his grandmother for permission in his interactions with me. “Can I speak to Mummy?” he’d ask and so forth.

Miss 9, on the other hand, had begun to get increasingly aware that she is getting older. Having just turned 9, she is no longer a baby, nor is she a little kid like her brother Master 6. With 2 teen-aged and 2 young adult sisters, her interests have taken a dramatic turn from the child’s play she once reveled in. She no longer considers her younger brother’s boyish games as fun, evident in the continuous whine of her brother, “Mum, (Miss 9) won’t play with me!!” At many of the places we frequent that my youngest son enjoys, mostly playgrounds and game places like Time Zone, I was startled to see that Miss 9 was ‘too embarrassed’ to be seen having fun playing games, despite the fact there were youngsters of various ages on into their teen years all around her.

In an effort to make her realise there was no wrong in enjoying these pastimes, I endeavoured to participate myself. The look of amazement on the faces of my children was undeniable. “I didn’t know you could do that Mummy!” Master 6 was unperturbed by this sudden revelation however, as he proceeded to ‘teach’ me how it was done. As my grandmother once said to me – you are as old as you feel.

From generation to generation characteristics and traits, stories and wiles are passed down from our great-great grandparents to our great-grandparents to our grandparents to our parents to us and then on to our children. Relics are locked away in attics or storage – photos, diaries, books, antiques, and family heirlooms. In each one a wealth of knowledge and mystery of times gone by - your link to the past and to what lies before you for the next generation. Your own treasure cove in a time capsule.

Copyright 2009. Rebecca Laklem.

1 Comments:

At 6:45 PM, Anonymous Aries said...

Hi just passing through, saw your blog on linkreferral. Like mummy blog and just became your follower. Maybe you should have a column for follower, that way you will know how many are reading / following your blog. Come visit my blog too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home