Friday, November 24, 2006

In Your Shadow

A Tribute to My Brother David
1962-2006

Caught red-handed yes we were
At least your hands were red – with jam
Mine were more the colour of yam.

I followed you to the heights
To look down gave us a fright
Once at the top you gave way to me
Oh so gentle-man-ly
Going first was for the ladies
To show our skill as water-babies

Perched on the top of the car roof
So proud you were that you could prove
You were bigger and older and wiser you see
To open the car door for me
I opened the door without a thought
Surprised at the response it had brought
Shut the door – you’re spoiling it!
So I did as you had bid
I was puzzled at your distraught
Till discovering your toes were caught

As the years went on I’d follow you
In everything you would do
Tolerating so graciously
Your little sister – Hey, that’s me
In everything we would share
People even called us a pigeon-pair

There is no better place here on earth
Than in your shadow I rather be
For more than precious gold it’s worth
With all my love, big brother – from me.


Copyright 2006. Rebecca Laklem

2 Comments:

At 11:04 PM, Blogger Scribbit said...

I'm not sure if this is your current blog, I tried finding it from your profile and ended up here.

At any rate thanks for the comment--it's nice to hear how resilient kids are!

 
At 4:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did I get my comment to you about this poem?

It so evoked those years for me in Lamma, I remember you struggling in his shadow, (he was quite brilliant)

But you came into your own, who you are. I've got great admiration for you.
Laura

 

Post a Comment

<< Home